DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS
The mission of the mathematics department is to provide a supportive environment where students can learn and become experts in mathematics, through dedicated teaching and motivation. Moreover, the department will contribute to the development of students as mathematical thinkers, enabling them to pursue internationally recognized research in pure and applied mathematics, and to function as productive and responsible citizens.
To be one among the best mathematics departments in the country and to establish an international reputation as a centre for research and teaching in mathematics.
We have an active undergraduate program that offers a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences.
A graduate of mathematics should have developed the ability to: ·
- Demonstrate knowledge of key mathematical concepts and topics.
- Abstract the essentials of problems and formulate them mathematically, and in symbolic form, so as to facilitate their analysis and solution.
- Present mathematical arguments and conclusions from them with accuracy and clarity.
- Formulate complex problems of optimisation and interpret the solutions in original contexts of the problems.
- Work with patience and persistence, pursuing problem solutions to their conclusion.
- Transfer knowledge to assess novel problems logically and approach them analytically.
- Apply concepts and principles in loosely-defined contexts, showing effective judgement in selecting and applying appropriate tools and techniques.
- Display adaptability through a readiness to address new problems from new areas.
- Demonstrate highly developed numeracy and IT skills.